Success Stories After WLS

These are stories by real people who are Living After Weight Loss Surgery. Gastric bypass isn't just about weight loss, it's a chance to reclaim our lives for better health, wellness and happiness without being slaves to morbid obesity. WLS is not a quick fix for obesity; it is an effective long term tool for controling weight and health.
Read & Be Inspired.
To share your story Email me

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Back From the Edge:
Diane Shield's WLS Success Story

Growing up in the south, plus living on a farm, my life really focused on food. Also, some of my fondest memories of childhood revolved around food. I see myself in my grandmother’s kitchen as she taught me to cook. I can still smell the wood burning stove she had. She wanted to teach all my cousins, but they were too busy playing. So it was just me and my grandmother in the kitchen for hours. She made the best cakes. Of course, I got to lick all the spoons.

We had a large garden on our farm. We also raised cows, pigs, chickens, and rabbits. I didn’t realize it then, but we were poor. We didn’t shop at the grocery store like most people. We only bought the staples, cleaning products, paper products, etc. Everything else we got from neighboring farms. My parents were very strict when it came to food. We were taught that you did not waste anything. We were forced to clean our plates. When we had friends over, my dad would tell them,” If you don’t wanna eat it, don’t mess over it. We’ve gotta eat it.” Needless to say, I ended up very chubby.

I found a way to keep the weight off during my teens. It wasn’t healthy, but I’m sure there are others out there besides me who have been through this. I turned to bulimia. I hid it very well from everyone. My family found out just this year. I hid a lot of things from them. This is the time I began experiencing the first signs of Bipolar. I started living my life on “the edge”.

Many years later, after I had ballooned to 375 miserable pounds, something needed to be done. In addition to the Bipolar, I had numerous health problems; diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, plus a host of others. I wouldn’t live much longer if I kept going this way. Believe it or not, it was at the urging of my psychiatrist that I first started looking into WLS. He felt it would be the best course of action for me. He was convinced I would come through with flying colors.

On May 5, 2004, I underwent laparoscopic RNY. Now, 16 months later, I am down a whopping 240 pounds. I no longer have difficulties with any of those health problems. I’ve even been able to decrease my psych meds. I’m back at work after being unable to function since 1995. I have also returned to college to advance my degree.

I debated about telling all my “secrets”. I chose to be open for a reason. I’m certain that there are others out there just like me. I want each of them to know they are not alone. I’m thankful each and everyday that I did this. It wasn’t always easy. I’ve had plenty of setbacks along the way. If given the chance, I’d do it all again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home